Copper Canyon or San Cristobal?
This is certainly one of my favorite places on earth–largely because I like big, spacious, wild yet simple places. Chihuahu is a bit like my roots in Kansas I guess. Whatever I like the place.
The last few days I have been in Chiapas and particulary in San Cristobal. I am not unique in being drawn to this lovely narrow streeted historic town. This morning I am thinking about the contrast between the Chihuahua environs and way dwon south here in Chiapas. There are several delightful differences:
- Chiapas is cleaner. Plastic of all forms as well as just plain garbage can be an issue in public places up north. While Chiapas is not spic and span it is much cleaner.
- Food in Chiapas has more variety and character. Now I like that cowboy food up north–after all I am the one and only with a culinary trip there, The Blue Corn Express. But the suaces, the vegetables, the variety of other national cuisines here in Chiapas is delightful
- One asspect I prefer about Copper Canyon is that there very few resident gringos and Europas. I don’t mind it really, but therer are a ton of outsiders here in SCDLC
- The infrastucture here in Chiapas is way beyond that in Chihuahua. Things are still very local here but the hotels are better and more organized, the transport is easier, and the eateries are cleaner and more numerous.
- Now most importantly–the two most essential liquids: wine and coffee. There is no question which locale wins here. There is no coffee in Chihuahua (Nescafe instant is it) and there are more wine stores in one block of San Cristobal than all of Chihuahua.
So which would I choose–I’ll take both!