I saw this article by Rana Foroohar on immigration reform in Time the other day and it seems to make perfect sense to me–based on my observations in Mexico and around the border.
Here are my non-political observations:
- the border areas seem to be quite safe for gringos
- the flow of people toward the US seems to have ebbed greatly and the Border Patrol looks to be idle
- the Mexicans in Mexico just smile at our approach to the situation
- all day long goods flow both ways across the border but the people flow is restricted
- in the US we need the Mexican labor–like I talk to people all the time who wish it more possible to find more Latin help–THEY WORK!
- most gringos- especially those close to the border have no idea what life in Mexico is like right now
I find life in Juarez to be much like that in Phoenix but it feels safer, the hotels are better and cheaper, the food is way better, and the people are 10 times as friendly.