Our typical Copper Canyon tour itinerary is 6 – 10 days/7 – 9 nights and is based out of El Paso (we cross at the peaceful little Santa Teresa, NM crossing) or Chihuahua City (CUU) and leaves the country from Baja (Cabo San Lucas- SJD airport).
Actually these days we more often embark from Chihuahua City- CUU airport code- (American and United fly there) or from Los Mochis- LMM airport code- on the west end of the train line (Volaris Airlines from San Diego/Tijuana).
Also, warm weather itineraries will usually be a bit different than the one below…including more of the high country and usually not including El Fuerte.
Sample Authentic Copper Canyon Itinerary
|Our Copper Canyon train trips vary and have many options according to your interests.|
|This is a skeleton itineray through Copper Canyon and leaving Mexico through Baja.|
|Day 1||San Juanito||Noritari||D||Fly into Chihuahua (CUU) and van into Copper Canyon||Noritari is a lovely solar lodge high above the train in Copper Canyon.|
|Day 2||Creel||Best Western||B||By van or train to nearby Creel||Creel is a bustling mountain town –a great place to get intruduced to the Raramuri culture.|
|Day 3||Aereponapuchi / Divisadero area||Mansion Tarahumara||L,D||Travel to Aereponapuchi, to a room with a view of the vast canyons.||You are now in the heart of the canyons.|
|Day 4||Aereponapuchi / Divisadero area||Mansion Tarahumara||B,L,D||All day to take in the sights, activities and just relax.||The gondola/zipline are nearby as well as great hiking and shopping.|
|Day 5||Cerocahui||San Isidro Lodge||B,L,D||Afternoon short journey to Cerocahui near the great Gallego overlook.||San Isidro touts great local food, Tarahumara runners, and quiet|
|Day 6||El Fuerte||Posada Hidalgo||B||Morning to hike or see the overlook, then the train through the best of Copper Canyon.||This is the prime part of the train experience–have your eyes open and camera ready.|
|Day 7||La Paz,Cabo Pulmo, or Los Barriles, Baja||River trip for birds and petroglyphs–then later across the Sea of Cortez.||Our evening stop depends on fight/ferry conections.|
|Day 8||Los Paz—or Hotel Punta Pescadero Paradise||A day to relax on the Sea of Cortez–Cousteau called it “the aquarium of the world”!||Open day for snorkeling, sampling local food, fishing, walking the beach, laying by the pool.|
|Day 9||Fly home from Cabo airport (SJD)||Option to stay longer in Baja–Cabo Pulmo, Cabo, or Todos Santos.|
Again…each of our trips is individualized and they usually include the incredible train experience with our team of local Mexican guides in Copper Canyon plus much more:
- We give you a great taste of Norteño food, including dinners in local homes, Mexican chefs, traditional recipes, and adventures in the street stands and markets.
- This is a learning and cultural immersion trip with Tarahumara Indian villages, local history and colonial architecture, and the old world vibe of the Sierra Madres.
- Lovely little Noritari (solar lodge) with chef Sol high in the pines above the canyons
- The historic and delicious Casa Grandes area, including Mata Ortiz pottery with dinner at a local historic hacienda.
- Two nights at Areponápuchi with the grandest views of Copper Canyon and the gondola/zipline experiences…come hungry!
- The Mennonite plateau areas with the vast apple orchards and world famous cheese.
- The historic colonial El Fuerte including bird watching and petro glyphs.
- And of course the world-renowned Copper Canyon train, “CHEPE”…86 tunnels and 37 bridges along this amazing route.
Copper Canyon Train Trip Basics
- Eight to nine day trip cost is usually about $1895, double occ ( $300 single supp.). NOTE: prices may vary with the change in itinerary and peso exchange rate.
- We specialize in customized itineraries and we can do individualized trips or custom trip for 2 or more at these prices. Group prices are less per person.
- Trip insurance is highly recommended…especially including a small medical coverage and evacuation. <<<click here to check out the coverage we recommend>>>
- Registration deposit ($500) is usually due 60 days before the departure and final payment 30 days before.
- Most trips arrive and depart from Chihuahua City–sometimes Los Mochis El Paso. We can also arrange departures from the “west end” out of Los Mochis, El Fuerte, or Baja. While we feel the “east end”approach gives a bit better view of the canyons, this other itinerary works well and may be preferable for your vacation plans.
- One great option is to fly into Chihuahua City (Continental or American) and we can flex our itinerary to fit with your arrival place.
- Side trips into the canyon and down to Batopilas, Basasiachi Falls, and Cerocahui/Urique are available.
- Many other side trips and hiking or horseback options are available.
- All hotels have private baths, hot water and linens, and most have air conditioning- ones without air are in the mountains.
- Hotels range from 4-star range to simpler cabana-style in the small towns where we use the best hotels available. All are secure, clean, and have comfortable beds.
- Price includes all transportation from the beginning and ending airport, Mexican meals as noted in itin (alcohol on your own), all hotels, and all entry fees and guides to places in the itinerary. Guests for over 7 days pay a small visa fee.
- Your host and guide is one of our local, bilingual Mexican team. Dave and his team are experts in the culture and environment of the Sierra Madres.
- Most guests bring $300-600 USD in pesos for the on your own meals, incidentals, the gondola and zipline, souvenirs, and tips.
- Authentic Copper Canyon will supply a packing list and an FAQ sheet- call with other questions. Each guest will need a current passport.
For more info, registration and deposit, contact Dave Hensleigh, email@example.com, 217.369.9897